Friday, February 17, 2012

Getting Organized

It's coming on 3 weeks now and I feel as though I have been here for already a year! I am really enjoying my time here so far. There have definitely been struggles and frustrations but God is so gracious. I already feel like I am at home here and can imagine staying. However, I will not make that decision after only 3 weeks…lol! I really am starting to see reasons for being here. I see a lot of hardness in people…even children. I smile at people on the tram and they look at me like I'm crazy. So I just keep smiling :) One of my cousins asked if people in America are happier than the Swiss because I am laughing and smiling all the time. I think the people are nice here once you get to know them personally but smiling at strangers is not common. I am really looking forward to how the children will act once I have been here for maybe 2 months or so. Right now they are getting used to me and as I can't really communicate with them yet, it's interesting. All but two of the children come from broken homes and only one is raised in a christian home. They are so adorable and I love being around children again. I notice sometimes that they seem like they want to get close but are afraid so they pull away. They are quite different than American children. It's funny because I didn't take that into consideration. I figured because children are children, they would be the same. But I guess the environment plays a big part in behavior. They are quite reserved…part of which I am sure comes from instability but I am already praying against that! Yesterday I had a breakthrough with the children. 2 of the girls (Laura and Alisha both 2 yrs old) were letting me feed them with no issues and then were playing with me and hanging on me…it was so nice! It has been really hard not having the children be able to understand me and not wanting to be around me since they are so reserved. Breakthrough was a huge victory!! I just keep praying whenever they push me away and try not to take it so personal (easier said than done) and that seems to help.

There have been several times I have seen that God really had someone praying for me at a specific time. I am so grateful for the prayers! I think sometimes we think that just praying is not doing enough but rest assured…there is power in prayer and it works!!! I was sad when Elizabeth left last week and was left on my own because it was such a blessing having her here, but it actually has been quite nice! I thought I would be lonely but I really am not. I am starting to enjoy the quietness and don't even feel like I have to put on music or anything. Just think and pray and think some more. My apartment is coming along quite nice and I am really feeling at home. I will be glad when everything is organized and finished so I don't feel like when I come home from work or school that I have to do something. I just finished painting this cabinet white and it took a week. I am so glad its finished and it was soooo worth it!

German school has been very trying. Trying my patience that is. The german teacher only speaks german and its really stressful. I think the lesson this wednesday was the best so far though because she taught us something that I actually feel I can use and its soooo helpful! I left with a smile on my face! I get nervous walking to the tram station after class even though its before 8pm and shouldn't be an issue. Its the only time I am nervous actually because every other station I feel has more people around and this one is kinda…eh. I walk super fast and sit clutching my purse tight. I really need to work on that I think. I know God will take care of me no matter what so I need to be more trusting and less fearful. There are always people around but its less than all the other stations. I am getting used to riding the tram everywhere and I quite enjoy it..unless I just miss the tram and have to wait 7 whole minutes for the next one. It doesn't sound so awful when I write it though does it? Wow. 7 minutes. LOL!

Ok I have to say one last thing and then go because I am going on ski holiday with my cousins tomorrow and I haven't packed yet. So there is this old man with a little white dog who lives in one of the houses I pass everyday on my walk to Claudia's house. I smile at the little dog and also at he when I see him. He looked at me strange at first but today he actually greeted me and looked like he was wanting to talk. As I was headed to work, I nodded and greeted him (of course I spoke wrong and used the personal german instead of formal…oops!) and then kept walking. I then felt really sad and asked God to give me another opportunity with him because I feel like I could have (tried to) say something else. Maybe all he needed was a "Have a nice day". Ya know? I was so bummed out that I missed out on that but am really looking forward to the next time I see him. I really was smiling the whole way to Claudia's after that because seeing him smile and greet me really made my day. Two breakthroughs!!! Woot! OK I have to go now :) I will be back in a week! Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: